Every year the fabulous Shellyrae from Book’d Out runs an Australian Day blog hop in which commenters can win a whole host of books. I think I’ve participated every year and I’m happy to participate again this year.
In celebration of Australia Day I thought I’d celebrate my favourite Australian things. Here goes, in no particular order:
- Vegemite – seriously, there’s not much better than Vegemite on toast as comfort food, or anytime food!
- The Moriarty Sisters – If you haven’t heard of Liane Moriarty now, I don’t know where you’ve been. She’s one of my favourite, must-buy authors, but I also adore her sisters’ books. One of my top ten books I’ve ever read is I HAVE A BED MADE OF BUTTERMILK PANCAKES by her sister Jacyln Moriarty. And there’s another sister, Nicola, who also writes. So much talent in one family 🙂
- The Sunny Cowgirls – love this Aussie country music duo! My fave song of their’s is SIX PACK SHORT!!
- Offspring – undoubtedly one of the best TV dramas ever made. I’m m SO excited there’s going to be a series six after all!
- Aeroplane Jelly – I love Aeroplane jelly, Aeroplane jelly for me!!! I still remember that advert from my childhood days and one of my favourite jelly things to make is Jelly Slice. Click here for a simple recipe.
- Our convict history
- Grant Denyer – when I had little little kids, Grant (as the travelling weatherman) kept me entertained on Sunrise in the mornings. When he left, I stopped watching breakfast TV.
- Tim Tams – you’re surprised they’re so far down my list, aren’t ya? But remember, this isn’t in order 🙂 And nothing beats a Tim Tam Milo slam on a cold, winter’s day (yes, we do occasionally have them in Australia).
- Milo – see above. Although I also love it on its own on a cold day or in the evening while reading a good book 🙂
- Rural Romance – love reading our Aussie stories about small country communities and the wonderful, sometimes eccentric characters that live here. We’re so lucky that there are so many Aussie authors writing Aussie books now! And us authors are lucky there are so many wonderful readers hungry for them.
GIVEAWAY: So Aussies, what have I missed? And if you’re not an Aussie, what’s your favourite thing from where you live?
I’m giving away two prizes to two lucky commenters – to on Aussie commenter, I’ll give a signed copy of THE ROAD TO HOPE and to an international commenter, I’ll send you a print (non-signed) copy of JILTED!! To enter, just let me know your favourite thing and don’t forget to leave your location.
Entries for this contest close January 27th at midnight EST (Australia) and I will email the winners and also announce on my FB page the next day.
Now, once you’ve commented on my post, don’t forgot to HOP ON OVER to Book’d Out where you’ll be able to enter ANOTHER giveaway AND see all the other blogs that are participating.
Happy Australia Day!